Click on these links to hop directly to the content you're looking for, or scroll to see it all! If you're looking for information on financial aid, scholarships, budgeting, see "How to Fund Your Experience."
- Program Cost Overview
- How to Make Payments to UWEC
- Late Payment/Cancellation
- Re-Admittance Fee
- Summary of Application Fee + Deposits
- Final Program Charge to UWEC
- Program Payments to your Host University/Organization
- Non-WI Resident Students
- Program Transfer Policy
- Withdrawal Deadlines
- Student Initiated Withdrawal Refund Policy
- Individual Student Cancellation Refund Policy
- Entire Program Cancellation Refund Policy
Detailed Program Costs
Each program page has a detailed cost estimate under the "Program Costs" section. If the term you're considering isn't posted, use the most recent and add 7% for increased exchange rates/inflation. Cost estimates are updated as coordinators receive updated information from partner universities.
Online through the regular UWEC CampS Procedures: This is the preferred payment method. (Note: there may be convenience fees for paying online).
- When you get to the "Make a Payment" screen, choose "Study Abroad Down Payment" to pay your $30 application fee or $150 deposit.
- Enter the correct amount.
- Choose the year/term you will be going abroad:
- For Summer 2022: select 2021-2022
- For Fall 2022, Academic Year 2022-23, Spring 2023 or Winterim 2023: select 2022-23
In person at Blugold Central (1108 Vicki Lord Larson Hal): You can pay with check, cash, money order, traveler's check or bank draft. Checks should be made out to UW-Eau Claire. Please inform the staff member that this payment is for study abroad and the term you are going abroad. Be sure to ask for a receipt. Money payments are allowed 8:00am - 4:00pm, Monday - Friday.
(Return to top)
- $30 non-refundable application fee: all students pay as part of the UWEC study abroad application process
- $150 non-refundable deposit: due 2-3 weeks after approval by CIE. A specific deadline will be included with your acceptance email
- After your approval by UWEC, your host university or organization MAY have additional application fees, with specific deadlines, that you pay directly to them (not to UWEC) - the fee amounts can be found by reviewing specific program cost estimates. The host university or organization will give you a deadline and info for how to make the payment. Many of those fees are also non-refundable.
normal campus billing cycle (click to find due dates). If you anticipate receiving financial aid, these funds will be applied to the cost of your study abroad program.
**To determine what portion of your program charges are paid directly to UW-Eau Claire vs what is paid directly to the host university/organization, please reference the cost estimate for your program.
(Return to top)
MN reciprocity, Return to Wisconsin, Midwest Student Exchange Program & International Students)
It is important that you understand if you are applying for an exchange program (paying UW-Eau Claire tuition) or a study abroad program (paying a program fee to UW-Eau Claire that is in turn paid to your host organization abroad).
- Exchange programs, you will pay regular UW-Eau Claire non-resident tuition, in addition to other program costs. If you receive tuition benefits such as “Return to Wisconsin” tuition or the MSEP tuition discount, they can be applied to the tuition cost of the exchange program. International student tuition discounts or waivers might not apply; consult an international student advisor.
- Study abroad programs, there is a flat non-resident tuition fee of $900 (per semester) or $450 (per short term summer or Winterim program), in addition to the resident tuition fee and other program costs.
- UW-Eau Claire tuition waivers and tuition benefit programs such as “Return to Wisconsin” cannot be applied to the $900 or $450 fees. However, the $900 or $450 fees may be less than the cost of the non-resident tuition for an exchange program, even with your waiver or benefit applied.
Standard Transfer Policy
If UWEC has approved you, and you wish to withdraw, email your study abroad coordinator or email@example.com by the date noted for your term abroad:
- Summer and Southern Hemisphere Fall and Academic Year: March 1st
- Non-Southern Hemisphere Fall and Academic Year: July 1st
- Winterim: October 1st
- Spring and Calendar Year: November 1st
Click the button below to see the Student Withdrawal Refund Policy:
Student Withdrawal Refund Policies
(return to top)
Program cancellation refers to a decision made by UW-Eau Claire or a partner organization to:
- Cancel an individual student’s program participation after the student had been admitted, or
- Cancel an entire program, either before or after the program start date
Per the Center for International Education Enrollment Agreement, a student may be cancelled after admittance to a program for
Individual Student Cancellation
- Failure to maintain good standing (academic, conduct or financial) or the eligibility requirements of the program, or to meet requirements defined and published under Academic Policies & Regulations in the UW-Eau Claire catalog;
- Personal conduct adversely affecting other students or faculty and/or conduct that violates the rules and regulations published in the Blugold Code;
- Conduct which violates the laws of the country in which the program occurs.
Cancellation of an Entire ProgramA program may be cancelled for several reasons, including a change in safety or services at the host site. The decision may be made by UWEC or the host organization.
Click on the button below to view the Individual and Program Cancellation Refund Policies:
Cancellation Refund Policies
(return to top)