Skip to content

Kansai Gaidai, Japan Academics


To apply, you must be a currently enrolled, degree-seeking, undergraduate UW-Eau Claire student. You need to be in good-academic, conduct and financial standing. You also need to have a cumulative GPA of 3.0. You must maintain enrollment and continue to meet the academic standing and GPA requirements the semester prior to departure. You may apply as a first year student, but must have at least sophomore standing by the time the program begins. However, Kansai Gaidai does prefer that students have at least 2 years of college level coursework completed by the time the program begins. Previous Japanese language study is strongly recommended, but not necessary. Students who do have prior Japanese language do seem to get more out of the program. 


Four courses, including Japanese, are the minimum required semester load. You may register for a maximum of five courses.

Japanese Courses:
 All students are required to take the appropriate level of Japanese for 5 credits, which will come back to UWEC at the appropriate Japanese language level. Students can also take the elective courses of Kanji and Readings for 3 credits, which will come back as elective credit. Serious students of Japanese should strongly consider taking a Kanji and Readings course in conjunction with their Japanese course.

Asian Studies & Art Courses:
There is also a choice of Asian Studies courses taught in English. These classes change frequently. For a complete and up to date course listing, please visit the Kansai Gaidai website 

Kansai also offers studio art courses which are three credits each. To learn more about those, see Kansai Gaidai's website

UW-Eau Claire Equivalencies

To find courses that have been evaluated, go to the Transfer Wizard site by clicking here
  • Choose Japan, then click "Search"
  • Click on Kansai Gaidai Univ
  • Click "Search" again. All courses that have been evaluated for UWEC credit will appear. 
If the course does not appear on the transfer wizard, it has not yet been evaluated for UWEC credit. 

Please remember that the transfer wizard is a historical record. There is NO guarantee that the same courses will be offered in the future or that they will be offered during the term in which you will be abroad. 

Liberal Education/General Education Requirements

For students in catalog years 2016-17 and later, this program can fulfill an Integrate Learning (I1) requirement upon completion of the integrated learning assignments while abroad. Please contact your study abroad coordinator for more details. 

For students in catalog years through 2015-16, Foreign Culture can be waived upon successful program completion. The requirement is not automatically applied: please email Degree Review at after completion of your program to update your degree audit. (Students earning a B.A., B.F.A., or B.M. degree in the College of Arts and Sciences cannot use study abroad to fulfill their foreign language/foreign culture requirements. See the university catalog for details.). 

Academic Calendar

You may study for a semester or a full academic year. The fall semester begins the last week of August and ends in the middle of December. The spring semester begins the last week of January and concludes around the end of May. Exact dates will be available the semester prior to departure.