Skip to content

Nagasaki, Japan Academics


To apply, you must be a currently enrolled, degree-seeking, undergraduate UW-Eau Claire student. You need to be in good-academic, conduct and financial standing. You also need to have a cumulative GPA of 2.8. You must maintain enrollment and continue to meet the academic standing and GPA requirements the semester prior to departure. You may apply as a first year student, but must have at least sophomore standing by the time the program begins. No previous Japanese language study is required.


You will take 12-16 credits, including:
  • 1 Japanese language course at the appropriate level (4 credits)
  • 3-4 Japan Studies Courses, taught in English (2 credits each)
  • 1-2 seminars in Traditional Japanese Art (1 credit each) 
The Japanese studies classes vary only slightly from year to year; however, the specific classes to be offered in a given semester are only determined a few months in advance. Visit the NUFS website for course information.

UW-Eau Claire Equivalencies

To find courses that have been evaluated, go to the Transfer Wizard site by clicking here
  • Choose Japan, then click "Search"
  • Click on Nagasaki Coll of Foreign Lang
  • Click "Search" again. All courses that have been evaluated for UWEC credit will appear. 
If the course does not appear on the transfer wizard, it has not yet been evaluated for UWEC credit. 

Please remember that the transfer wizard is a historical record. There is NO guarantee that the same courses will be offered in the future or that they will be offered during the term in which you will be abroad. 

Liberal Education/General Education Requirements

For students in catalog years 2016-17 and later, this program can fulfill an Integrate Learning (I1) requirement upon completion of the integrated learning assignments while abroad. Please contact your study abroad coordinator for more details. 

For students in catalog years through 2015-16, Foreign Culture can be waived upon successful program completion. The requirement is not automatically applied: please email Degree Review at after completion of your program to update your degree audit. (Students earning a B.A., B.F.A., or B.M. degree in the College of Arts and Sciences cannot use study abroad to fulfill their foreign language/foreign culture requirements. See the university catalog for details.). 

Academic Calendar

You may study for fall or spring semester, or the academic year. Note that dates follow the traditional Japanese university calendar. Fall semester runs from late September to early February, however, students studying in the fall have the option for an early assessment, which would allow them to leave in late December. This option is only available for fall students. Spring semester runs from late March to early August.