Skip to content

Graz, Austria Academics


To apply, you must be a currently enrolled, degree-seeking, undergraduate UW-Eau Claire student. You need to be in good-academic, conduct and financial standing. You also need to have a cumulative GPA of 3.0. You must maintain enrollment and continue to meet the academic standing and GPA requirements the semester prior to departure. You may apply as a first year student, but by the time of departure, you need to have completed two years of university-level German and have at least sophomore standing. 


With a wide range of courses taught specifically for international students and regular university courses, you can ease your way into total language immersion or take the plunge immediately. You will take a minimum of 12 credits each semester, with the option of taking courses taught specifically for international students or regular university courses. Some Uni Graz courses are taught in English.

You can find information on Uni Graz courses on-line at

UW-Eau Claire Equivalencies

To find courses that have been evaluated, go to the Transfer Wizard site by clicking here
  • Choose Austria, then click "Search"
  • Click on "Karl-Franzens-Universitat Graz"
  • Click "Search" again. All courses that have been evaluated for UWEC credit will appear. 
If the course does not appear on the transfer wizard, it has not yet been evaluated for UWEC credit. 

Please remember that the transfer wizard is a historical record. There is NO guarantee that the same courses will be offered in the future or that they will be offered during the term in which you will be abroad. 

Please consult your German advisor about course selection. 

Liberal Education/General Education Requirements

For students in catalog years 2016-17 and later, this program can fulfill an Integrate Learning (I1) requirement upon completion of the integrated learning assignments while abroad. Please contact your study abroad coordinator for more details. 

For students in catalog years through 2015-16, Foreign Culture can be waived upon successful program completion. The requirement is not automatically applied: please email Degree Review at after completion of your program to update your degree audit. (Students earning a B.A., B.F.A., or B.M. degree in the College of Arts and Sciences cannot use study abroad to fulfill their foreign language/foreign culture requirements. See the university catalog for details.). 

Language Immersion

All German majors and minors who wish to be certified to teach German must complete an appropriate period of language immersion in residence in a country in which the language is spoken.  As long as your coursework is in German, this program meets the language immersion requirement.

Academic Calendar

You may study for a semester or an academic year. Fall semester technically runs from early September to the end of January, but most professors will allow exchange students to take exams early and be done before the Christmas break. However, the College of Business and Economics does NOT allow early exams; you cannot take business courses in the fall semester if you need to be back at UWEC for spring.  Spring semester begins in early February and runs to late June. There is a break at Christmas and Easter.