Skip to content

Transfer Students

Accepted to transfer to UWEC?! That's all it takes before you can start applying to a UWEC program!  No need to wait until you are actually on campus! And the entire process can be completed on-line/through the mail.
The Center for International Education (CIE) recognizes that you may feel your opportunity to study abroad is already gone. But it can be done!  Here are some things to consider:

Length of Program

Short-term study abroad programs:
  • may work better if you are coming to UWEC with a lot of credits
  • there are both Winterim and summer programs, ranging from two to eight weeks 
Semester-long study abroad programs:
  • don’t immediately dismiss longer programs! With planning, you may be able to go for a full semester or even an academic year!  Discuss courses you can take with your ARCC advisor to see how you can remain on track toward graduation.

Earliest you can go

This will depend:
  • on when you are admitted to UWEC and,
  • what programs are currently accepting applications
Wnterim or summer may be your first chances to study abroad.  However--we have had some early transfers go straight into a study abroad program their first semester on campus! That can require a lot of work on your end. We encourage you to be in contact with our office ASAP if you're hoping to go right away.

Service Learning + Internships

In addition to classes, some programs offer the opportunity to fulfill part or all of the Service Learning requirement at UWEC. And some offer volunteer options or internship placements. 

Financial Assistance

Financial aid awarded through FAFSA can be used to pay for your study abroad program. Many scholarships offered through academic departments can also be used to pay for your study abroad program. If you are transferring from a community college and receive a Pell Grant, you are eligible to apply for the Benjamin A.Gilman International Scholarship, which seeks to support students who are traditionally under-represented in study abroad, including students from two-year colleges. More information on how to fund your experience is found here. 

If you have questions about the process, please email