Czech Republic Faculty-Led Immersion Academics
EligibilityTo apply, you must be a currently enrolled, degree-seeking, undergraduate UW-Eau Claire student. This program is only open to students who have applied to the Unified Early Childhood program and completed at least one semester of program courses prior to the summer of travel. You need to be in good academic, conduct and financial standing. You also need to have a cumulative GPA of 2.75. You must maintain enrollment and continue to meet the academic standing and GPA requirements the semester prior to departure.
Course InformationStudents take the following two courses for a total of 6 credits during summer term, taught by Dr. Cathy Thorsen (Special Education) and Professor Kirstin Rossi (Special Education):
- UEC 324 Language and Cultural Diversity in Early Childhood (3 credits)
- UEC 493 International Early Childhood Experience (3 credits)
Liberal Education/General Education RequirementsFor students in catalog years 2016-17 and later, this program fulfills the Responsibility Outcome 2 (R2): Global Perspectives requirement upon completion of all course assignments.
For students in catalog years through 2015-16, this program fulfills 3 credits of the Foreign Culture requirement upon successful program completion (students earning a B.A., B.F.A. or B.M degree in the College of Arts & Sciences cannot use study abroad to fulfill their foreign language/foreign culture requirement. See the university catalog for details).
Academic CalendarThe tentative program dates are June 4-28, 2018. You will fly into Dresden, Germany and out of Krakow, Poland. These dates are still tentative, do not book flights until after orientation in March.
- 5 Pre-program seminars during fall semester 2017 and spring semester 2018
- June 4: depart United States
- June 5: arrive in Dresden, Germany
- June 6-8: activities in Dresden, Germany
- June 9: train travel to Prague, meet host families at train station and go to homestays
- June 10-11 - orientation to Prague, Czech Republic
- June 12-16: practicum in Intensive English Schools
- June 17-18: Weekend with host families
- June 19-23: Practicum in Intensive English Schools
- June 24: excursion out of Prague
- June 25: train travel to Krakow, Poland
- June 26-28: activities in Krakow, Auschwitz study tour
- June 28: travel home
- 2 Post-program meetings in fall 2018