Skip to content

Aberdeen, Scotland Academics


To apply, you must be a currently enrolled, degree-seeking, undergraduate UW-Eau Claire student. You need to be in good-academic, conduct and financial standing. You also need to have a cumulative GPA of 3.0. You must maintain enrollment and continue to meet the academic standing and GPA requirements the semester prior to departure. You may apply as a first year student, but must have at least sophomore standing by the time the program begins. 

Please note that the fall exchange program can sometimes be competitive.  We typically have 3-5 exchange spaces.  We can send an unlimited number of students in the spring study abroad program, but it is considerably more expensive.  Be sure to look at the cost information on the previous page.


Course descriptions for Aberdeen can be found at: To understand which courses are offered in the fall and which are offered in the spring, you will need to read Aberdeen Academic Planning Info. You can have access to any courses for which you have the pre-requisites, with the exception of a few restricted areas. You cannot enroll in Clinical Medicine, level 4 English courses, BM 4501 Biomedical Honours Project, and SR 4502 Sports Practicum. The course catalogue for the following academic year is typically published in late summer. For example, the 2018-2019 catalogue/schedule was published in June 2018.

UW-Eau Claire Equivalencies

To find courses that have been evaluated, go to the Transfer Wizard site by clicking here
  • Choose United Kingdom, then click "Search"
  • Click on Univ of Aberdeen
  • Click "Search" again. All courses that have been evaluated for UWEC credit will appear. 
If the course does not appear on the transfer wizard, it has not yet been evaluated for UWEC credit. 

Please remember that the transfer wizard is a historical record. There is NO guarantee that the same courses will be offered in the future or that they will be offered during the term in which you will be abroad. 

The USING TRANSFER WIZARD handout explains how to find classes, and how to understand what you are seeing.

Liberal Education/General Education Requirements

For students in catalog years 2016-17 and later, this program can fulfill an Integrate Learning (I1) requirement upon completion of the integrated learning assignments while abroad. Please contact your study abroad coordinator for more details. 

For students in catalog years through 2015-16, Foreign Culture can be waived upon successful program completion. The requirement is not automatically applied: please email Degree Review at after completion of your program to update your degree audit. (Students earning a B.A., B.F.A., or B.M. degree in the College of Arts and Sciences cannot use study abroad to fulfill their foreign language/foreign culture requirements. See the university catalog for details.). 

Academic Calendar

You may study for Semester 1 (13 weeks, September-December), for Semester 2, (19 weeks, late January-June, including a 3 week break) or for the full academic year.