What is Fulbright?
What is Fulbright?The Fulbright US Student Program provides international grants for individually designed study/research projects, or for English Teaching Assistantships abroad. Graduating seniors and recent college graduates are eligible to apply.
The program is looking for bright, community-minded individuals with a passion for their discipline, who are interested in promoting mutual understanding through cultural exchange. There is no minimum GPA requirement. Fulbright is sponsored by the U.S. Department of State.
Did you know that:
- Fulbright offers more than 1,900 grants in roughly 150 countries?
- 24 UW-Eau Claire students/recent grads have been Fulbrighters in the last 10 years? See a list here: Fulbright Grantees Past 10 Years
- There is a complete list of UW-Eau Claire Fulbrighters, in the Grantee Directory on the Fulbright website?
There is some variation by country, but most grants provide round-trip transportation, a room and board stipend sufficient to cover living expenses in the host country, and insurance. Some also provide tuition waivers and/or a research allowance. See the country summaries on the Fulbright website for details.
2019-2020 UWEC Fulbrighters!
Congratulations to the most recent UWEC Fulbrighters!
- Laura Atchley, B.A., Organizational Communication, May 2014: Malaysia, English Teaching Assistantship
- Courtney Brost, B.A. English & Latin American Studies, May 2015: Brazil, English Teaching Assistantship
- Annisa Luginbill, B.S., Elementary Education & German Education, anticipated May 2019: Germany, English Teaching Assistantship
- Hannah Schneeman, B.A., German Education & English Education Early Adolescent, December 2018: Germany, English Teaching Assistantship
And congratulations to these two student who have been named alternates!
- Cheyenne Bonincontri, B.A., Biology Education & Spanish Education, anticipated August 2019: Ecuador, English Teaching Assistantship
- Allyson Breyer, B.S., Elementary Education & Special Education, December 2018: Netherlands, English Teaching Assistantship
2018-2019 UWEC Fulbrighters
Ellen Bialka, BA, elementary education, December 2017: Czech Republic, English Teaching Assistantship
Amy Brown, BS, elementary education, December 2016: Colombia, English Teaching Assistantship
Samantha Dulak, BA, Spanish & Latin American Studies, May 2016: Brazil , English Teaching Assistantship
Stephanie Kuski, BA, Communication Studies, May 2018: Germany, English Teaching Assistantship
UWEC Fulbright ReflectionsBelow are brief bios on recent UW-Eau Claire Fulbrighters, as well as reflections from some alumni on how their Fulbright experiences have influenced their career paths.
Lara Steinike, Germany, English Teaching Assistantship, 2016-2017
Karlene Groshek., Turkey, English Teaching Assistantship, 2015-2016
James Hahn, Spain English Teaching Assistantship, 2008-2009
Angela Koch, Bulgaria English Teaching Assistantship, 2015-2016
Sarah Janes Ugoretz, Mexico Study/Research, 2008-2009
Claire Lind., Turkey, English Teaching Assistantship, 2015-2016
Bethany Webster, Germany English Teaching Assistantship, 2011-2012