Skip to content

Veteran & Military Benefits

UW-Eau Claire is proud of counting active military guardsmen and reservists as well as veterans among its student population. The Center for International Education is also proud of having sent many active military and veteran students on our study abroad programs and would like to encourage even more to take advantage of the opportunity to have a successful experience abroad. Veterans may be able to use their benefits to help fund their study abroad experience.

If you are planning to use your Post 9/11 GI Bill benefits or your Wisconsin GI Bill benefits to assist in payment of your study abroad program, please meet with Miranda Cross-Schindler, the Veterans Benefits Coordinator, before you apply to a program, in order to find one that fits the requirements of the VA and your study abroad goals. Miranda can be contacted at 715-836-5212, or via e-mail at

In General

Post 9/11 GI tuition benefits will only cover tuition benefits up to the amount of the home school’s tuition, regardless of the cost of tuition at the university abroad. Wisconsin GI tuition benefits will only apply to exchange programs and faculty-led programs where UW-Eau Claire tuition is paid.

Current UW-Eau Claire Exchange Programs

These programs are offered through the Center for International Education. Please contact or 715-836-4411 for more information. Programs that may have an exchange option: consult the study abroad coordinator, Jenna Krosch ( before applying.

Current Faculty-Led Programs

These programs are offered through the Intercultural Immersions Office. Note that programs are eligible for benefits as UW-Eau Claire tuition is being paid. Please contact Jeff DeGrave at or 715-836-6037 for more information.

To find the most current list of faculty-led immersion programs, that may allow benefits to be used, click here. 

Additional Information & Things to Consider

  • General information about how Post 9/11 GI benefits can apply to study abroad. General information on what the WI GI Bill remission covers.
  • Short-term study abroad programs may work better for active military students due to their military duties. There are programs available in both Winterim and summer, ranging from two to eight weeks. It is easier to ask time off from military duties for a short-term program, but long-term programs are also possible if required for graduation. Veteran students can consider any program length.
  • Active military students and veteran students are recognized as nontraditional students by UW-Eau Claire and may wonder about fitting in with traditional students on a study abroad program. Please visit our Nontraditional Students page to learn more about common issues and solutions.