Skip to content

Financial Aid

Financial Aid

Financial aid does travel! If you qualify for UW-Eau Claire financial aid*, it will apply to your UW-Eau Claire study abroad program. 

Please note that your aid cannot be adjusted to reflect the actual cost of your study abroad program until you are registered at UW-Eau Claire for your term abroad.? Students accepted to study abroad will receive an email from the CIE with further information.

*Note that non-resident tuition waivers do not apply to study abroad programs and UW-Eau Claire financial aid will not follow you on a non-UW-Eau Claire study abroad program.

Financial Aid Options

  1. Scholarships: to learn more about study abroad scholarship opportunities, see our scholarship page.
  2. Grants (for students in need): Grants may be available for admitted students with financial need to help with the extra costs of study abroad. To be considered for the grants, students must have a completed FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) and must demonstrate financial need. These grants are awarded based on funds available and relative need. Priority will be given to students who are enrolled full-time for the semester preceding the student's study abroad. 
  3. Loans: 
    • Direct Loans: Direct loans may be used to meet the costs of study abroad if the student has not already borrowed their yearly maximum for these loans. 
      • Subsidized Direct Loans: are available for students with need
      • Unsubsidized Loans: are available for all students regardless of need. 
    • Minnesota SELF Loan: MN residents are eligible to apply for up to $20,000 per grade level in SELF loan. 
    • Private Educational Loans: Educational loans through private lenders may also be an option. 
    • PLUS loans: Educational loans taken out by parents on behalf of their student. 
    • To learn more about all of these options, please see UWEC's financial aid website. 
  4. Students using Veteran Benefits should contact the Veterans Services Office to determine if program costs are covered. Please note that non-resident remission waivers cannot be used on study abroad.

Want to know how your aid works with study abroad?

  1. Complete the top half of THIS WORKSHEET
    • Hint: you can find the info you need on the program (of your interest) brochure page
  2. Go to Blugold Central and work with a front line advisor to view your current aid and see options for when you go abroad. You do need to currently be receiving aid to obtain an estimate.
    • Hint: you must have the above worksheet filled out BEFORE you head into Blugold Central

Applying for Financial Aid

You apply for financial aid for your time abroad by filing a FAFSA, just as if you are going to be on-campus. See the Financial Aid Web site. The CIE notifies Financial Aid of all students going abroad in a particular term and Financial Aid automatically adjusts your financial aid budget. Financial aid is based on your actual costs in your host country, and aid packages include the cost of tuition, fees, room, board, personal expenses, books, local and round-trip international transportation. Additional personal travel you plan to do is not covered by financial aid; neither is the cost of dependents who may travel with you. 

If you receive aid, make sure you go into your MyBlugold CampS, click on "Self Service" then select "Student Center" and then "View Financial Aid" and accept your aid. If you don't accept your aid awards, your aid will not distribute to your account. 

Summer Financial Aid

You must file a separate application for summer financial aid. You will find it under the Finances section of your MyBlugold CampS student center. You must have a FAFSA on file and earn at least six credits during the summer for aid to apply.

Winterim Financial Aid

To be eligible for Winterim aid, you must have a FAFSA on file, be enrolled at least half time for the spring semester and complete the Winterim Financial Aid application found on your CampS account. The Winterim aid application usually isn't available until it gets closer to Winterim. When Winterim aid disperses, it will be applied to your Winterim bill.