Skip to content

Financial Aid

Financial Aid

Financial aid does travel! If you qualify for UW-Eau Claire financial aid*, it will apply to your UW-Eau Claire study abroad program. Click here for more details on Financial Aid Options Handout.pdf

If you currently receive aid from UW-Eau Claire, and want to have an estimate as to how much aid you might have when you go abroad, you can visit Blugold Central and speak with a front-line staff member. Please note, that you MUST have the top half completed on the Financial Aid Estimate Worksheet BEFORE you go in to talk with Blugold Central. If the worksheet isn't complete they will ask that you return when it is. To help you complete the top portion on the worksheet, reference the cost estimate that is posted to the program you're interested in.

*Note that non-resident tuition waivers do not apply to study abroad programs and UW-Eau Claire financial aid will not follow you on a non-UW-Eau Claire study abroad program. 

Applying for Financial Aid

You apply for financial aid for your time abroad by filing a FAFSA, just as if you are going to be on-campus. See the Financial Aid Web site. The CIE notifies Financial Aid of all students going abroad in a particular term and Financial Aid automatically adjusts your financial aid budget. Financial aid is based on your actual costs in your host country, and aid packages include the cost of tuition, fees, room, board, personal expenses, books, local and round-trip international transportation. Additional personal travel you plan to do is not covered by financial aid; neither is the cost of dependents who may travel with you. 

Summer Financial Aid

You must file a separate application for summer financial aid. You will find it under the Finances section of your MyBlugold CampS student center. You must have a FAFSA on file and earn at least six credits during the summer for aid to apply.

Winterim Financial Aid

To be eligible for Winterim aid, you must have a FAFSA on file, be enrolled at least half time for the spring semester and complete the Winterim Financial Aid application found on your CampS account. The Winterim aid application usually isn't available until it gets closer to Winterim. When Winterim aid disperses, it will be applied to your Winterim bill.