Get Involved in the CIE
Study Abroad Orientation (fall & spring)Remember all the questions you had when you were getting ready to go abroad? Come speak at study abroad orientation to a new group of students, and share your stories and experiences with them! Watch for an email from the CIE at the beginning of each semester.
Study Abroad Fair (fall)We are always looking for people to volunteer at the tables and about speak about their program. The next fair is Thursday, October 3, 2019 from 11am-3pm! Watch for an email from the CIE, looking for help for your program’s table.
Applications Closed. Study abroad Peer Advisors send weekly emails, advise on their program, work with their group at orientation and may assist with other office events as requested.
- Attend training sessions and prep between sessions as necessary
- Lead program segments at two separate orientation programs; participate in entire orientations (one in the beginning of the semester, the other later in the semester)
- Attend monthly meetings with all Peer Advisors
- Represent programs at additional promotional events or advising opportunities as requested and as fits in your schedule
For a complete position description, to see what programs we need PAs for, and to apply, click on the link to the application page here.
Social Media & Promotions InternApplications closed. Gain valuable social media and promotional development experience as you assist the study abroad staff in promoting a range of programs and activities. The successful candidate must be available for 10 hours/week from August-December (start date can be flexible). Study abroad experience is not required. The ability to work independently, think creatively and have attention to detail is critical. Working knowledge of Adobe software desired.
- Work with social media to maintain and strengthen the study abroad social media presence (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, Flickr, etc.)
- Explore a Snapchat account and what that would look like for a study abroad office
- Create fall promotional items including utilizing student photos to market certain programs
- Create and update handouts for the study abroad fair
- Create/collaborate with study abroad returnees on videos promoting study abroad programs
- Coordinate study abroad fair volunteers
- Update and send our Adventure Abroad, an email newsletter for study abroad events
- Assist a coordinator with organizing the annual photo contest that will be moved to November
- Other duties as assigned
Advising InternApplications closed. Gain valuable one-on-one advising and public speaking experiences as you assist the study abroad staff in outreach to/advising of prospective study abroad participants, with a specific focus on underrepresented groups. Study abroad experience on a CIE program and familiarity with programs and services offered through OMA required. The ability to work independently and pay attention to detail are critical. The successful candidate will ideally be available for 8-10 hours/week of training in late August, and will work 6-8 hours/week from September-December. Hours will vary weekly; some evening hours required.
- Conduct study abroad general informational sessions, with a focus on offices and organizations that support underrepresented students
- Take appointments and hold walk-in advising hours for general study abroad questions
- Staff study abroad information tables/provide assistance at various study abroad events
- Reach out to relevant student organizations about study abroad
- Work with study abroad staff to identify/implement best practices in advising and promotional materials for underrepresented groups
- Other duties as assigned