ThemesThemes for 2018 are:
- Instagrammable: is your photo worthy of being posted to Instagram?! It can range from a famous landmark to new friends you met to a candid with your host family. But please submit the original, not one that has been edited on Insta so then if you win, we can print it all fancy!
- A new adventure: Just as it sounds, anything that was new to you is worthy of being submitted for this category. Think foods, sights, sounds, transportation, city, etc. anything that was a new experience for you is what we want to see!
EligibilityMust be currently enrolled or alum of a UWEC sponsored study abroad program (International Fellow Participants, Intercultural International Immersion participants are eligible as well).
- Photo(s) must relate to the themes
- You can submit TWO photos per category but do not have to submit to each category.
- Submitted photos must be of high quality 3- 6MB+ and at least 8 megapixels or better. Photos that have been edited with filters do not have the best resolution and will look bad when printed.
- Keep photo content appropriate – do not submit photos that feature excessive alcohol, any drugs or related paraphernalia, or sexual content. If you’re not sure, err on the side of caution.
- Use photos that belong to you! We do not like plagiarizing.
- No Instagram photos – sorry the quality is not good and we want these to look great if printed
- All individuals in the photo must consent to the submission of the photo.
- Photos should be interesting, compelling, and awe-inspiring and evoke emotion in the viewer.
How to Enter
- Attach up to two photos per category directly in this e-form: Photo Contest is CLOSED!
- For each submitted photo, you must include the following information within the e-form:
- Study abroad program, location, term
- Title of Photo
- Category you're submitting photo to (remember up to 2 photos per category)
- Short description (250 words or less) of how the picture relates to the theme
- Deadline: Submissions open on January 30th and are due February 6th
- Official Judging: February 7-12
- Facebook voting: February 1-February 12 (we extended to allow for extended submission a chance to get some votes).
- All submitted photos will be added to the Study Abroad Facebook Page, where you, your family and friends can vote for your photo. The earlier you submit your photo the earlier it will be posted on the Facebook page!
- Winners Announced: February 15
- 1st place judge’s choice in each category: one 11x14 canvas print for you to keep after being displayed in the Library Showcases
- 2nd place judge’s choice in each category: one 11x14 dry mount photo for you to keep after being displayed in the Library Showcases
- 3rd place judge’s choice in each category: one 11x14 dry mount photo for you to keep after being displayed in the Library Showcases
- 1st place Fan Favorite in each category: One 11x14 photo for you to keep after being displayed in the Library Showcases
- Top 20-40 photos will be printed 8x10 and displayed in the Library Showcases (total number will be decided by the number of entrants received and the judge’s discretion)
- Display in the Library Showcases: March 1-23
- Entries that do not follow the guidelines will be disqualified.
- By entering this photo contest you are giving UW-Eau Claire CIE, and UW-Eau Claire permission to use your photo(s) in promotional and marketing items. This means all photos, not just winning entries, will be eligible for inclusion in such activities. You agree that your photo may be cropped without your consent. You also certify that the photo is yours and does not violate copyright law. All photos will be added to a Facebook album on Study Abroad at UW-Eau Claire. All photos will become property of the CIE and UW-Eau Claire. All attempts will be made to give students credit for their photo if it is used in print materials, but we cannot guarantee credit will be given in all promotional items. The CIE reserves the right to change or amend rules as the CIE sees fit.
FAQsTo help answer some questions you may have, check out the Photo Contest FAQs.
Past Contest Photos2017 Photos 2016 Photos 2015 Photos
This contest would not be possible without the support from the Center for International Education, Council on Internationalization and Global Engagement, and the Library. A special thank you to Sharp Photo for printing our photos!