Skip to content

Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions
When should I study abroad?
The best time for you may depend on your academic major. Talk with your academic adviser or Study Abroad Coordinator if you need guidance. Most students study abroad during their sophomore or junior year, though many seniors go as well.

What type of credit do I earn?
All of our programs offer UW-Eau Claire resident credit.  Once your transcript from abroad arrives, your classes and grades will be posted to your UW-Eau Claire transcript and will be included in your cumulative GPA.  

Will it delay my graduation?
Not with advance planning!  It is possible to fulfill GE/LE requirements while abroad, and most students are able to fulfill requirements for their major or minor.

Do I have to speak another language?
More than 40 of our current programs have no foreign language requirement -- including programs in non-English speaking countries!  Use the advanced search feature on the programs website to search for programs with course work in English.

What are the eligibility requirements?
Requirements vary by program.  Common selection criteria/pre-requisites include GPA (2.3-3.0), class level (all programs require at least sophomore standing, some require junior), and good academic standing.  Others may include prior language study or specific pre-requisite classes.

What if the GPA says "may be flexible?"
Certain programs are rigid in their adherence to the stipulated GPAs while other programs consider students whose GPAs approximately meet the requirement. If the GPA has the phrase "may be flexible" please contact the program's study abroad coordinator to learn more. It is ultimately up to our partners to determine, what, if any flexibility will be given but the study abroad coordinator will be able to provide more information. 

Can I fulfill my foreign culture requirement?
For students in the 2016-17 catalog and after, foreign culture credits are not required for graduation. If you are doing a study abroad program with an INTA or INTX prefix, you can fulfill one Integration Outcome (I1) with completion of the study abroad integrated learning orientation and assignments.

For students in the 2015-16 catalog or before, a successfully completed semester of study abroad fulfills the UW-Eau Claire foreign language/foreign culture requirement, except for those students doing a B.A., B.F.A., or B.M. in the College of Arts & Sciences.  Short-term programs may fulfill partial FL/FC credit; check on each program academics page for details.

Can I fulfill my cultural diversity requirement?
Applicable to students in the 2015-16 catalog or before: No, the cultural diversity requirement looks at U.S. cultural diversity.  You must complete the equivalent of at least three credits of content in a course or courses dealing with the following groups: African American, Hispanic, American Indian, or Asian American.  Although there are occasionally courses taught at sites abroad that can be petitioned to fulfill this requirement, simply studying abroad does not.

What does it cost?
There is a wide range of program costs. The basic cost of some programs - tuition, fees, room and board - are similar to costs on campus, plus international airfare.  Some cost much more than campus costs. To see a composite overview of program costs, look for the "Costs at a Glance" documents here.

How do I fund study abroad?
Financial aid applies and your aid package will be based on actual costs in your host country, including round-trip airfare. Click here for more information on financial aid.

Scholarships -You can apply for UW-Eau Claire, state and federal scholarships for study abroad. For more information on scholarships click here.

Start saving now!  Budget for your time abroad when setting your spending priorities.

Is there a pre-departure orientation?
Yes. You will attend a required day-long orientation. After orientation, you will receive weekly emails from your Peer Adviser or the study abroad staff.

What kind of support is available for me abroad?
All of our programs have an on-site contact to assist you; however, the level of support varies by program.

What about service-learning?
You can fulfill your service-learning requirement on some study abroad programs.  Check the "Experiential Education" search function on our program advanced search page.