Skip to content

Incident Reporting

The Center for International Education (CIE) strongly encourages students and faculty participating in study abroad programs to report health and/or safety incidents to UW-Eau Claire.

How to Report

1) Students and faculty can report an incident by contacting the appropriate UW-Eau Claire study abroad coordinator and providing the following information:
  • Date of the incident
  • Time (in-country time) of incident
  • Country/city of incident (note these may be different than your program site if you are traveling)
  • Nature of the incident (i.e. illness, injury, assault, theft, etc.) See below for more information on what to report
  • Individuals involved
  • Activity/location at time of incident
The coordinator may then ask some follow up questions in order to identify appropriate support and complete the reporting process.  

Please note that by law, UW-Eau Claire study abroad coordinators must report incidents of sexual misconduct, including victim's and alleged perpetrator's names, if known, to the campus Title IX and/or Clery coordinators. Information gathered may also result in an investigation by the Dean of Students Office or the Affirmative Action Office. 

2) UW-Eau Claire students can also report an incident abroad using the Study Away Health and Safety Incident Report Form, which allows for anonymous reporting or providing contact information.

What to Report

Although our partners abroad often report serious concerns involving UW-Eau Claire students abroad, UW-Eau Claire would like to be made aware of any of the following incidents that occur on UW-Eau Claire study abroad programs:
  • Aggravated Assault
  • Arrests
  • Death
  • Sexual Assault
  • Sexual Harassment
  • Theft
  • Illness
  • Injury
  • Missing/Separated Person
  • Other Safety Concerns: disease outbreak, fires, floods, equipment failure, etc.

Why Report?

  1. Most importantly, reporting allows the appropriate office at UW-Eau Claire to provide students and faculty with support and/or resources that might be needed to manage a health or safety concern abroad.
  2. UW-Eau Claire may have a legal obligation to report certain types of incidents that occur on programs abroad. The collection of information will help the university determine which incidents need to be reported to the federal/state government.