Fulbright U.S. Student Program
What is Fulbright?The Fulbright U.S. Student Program is sponsored by the U.S. Department of State and provides international grants for individually designed study/research projects, or for English Teaching Assistantships abroad.
- Fulbright offers more than 1,900 grants in roughly 150 countries
- In the last 10 years, UWEC has had over 25 students/recent grads become Fulbrighters! See the list here: Fulbright Grantees Past 10 Years
- For a complete list of UWEC Fulbrighters, from 1964-last year, see this list on the Fulbright website.
There is some variation by country, but most grants provide round-trip transportation, a room and board stipend sufficient to cover living expenses in the host country, and insurance. Some also provide tuition waivers and/or research allowance. See the country summaries for details.
Who Should Apply?U.S. citizens, who have completed at least a bachelor's degree by the beginning of the grant period, are eligible to apply. The program is looking for bright, community-minded individuals with a passion for their discipline, who are interested in promoting mutual understanding through cultural exchange. There is no minimum GPA requirement. For detailed eligibility requirements, see the Fulbright website.
When to ApplyIn most cases, you will start the application during your junior year. The 2022-2023 competition (for 2023-2024 awards) is now open!
- If you are graduating in December 2022 or May 2023, you can apply.
- For some countries in the Southern Hemisphere, December 2023 grads are also eligible.
- Recent graduates are also welcome to apply through UW-Eau Claire.
How to ApplySee the Applicants Tab on the Fulbright website to get started. This is a nation-wide award and very competitive. You will need to work on your application during spring semester/summer in order to prepare a competitive application. UWEC Fulbrighter Joel Newman put together this video about his experience applying for/receiving an English teaching assistantship in Uruguay in 2017.
For More InformationColleen Marchwick is the UWEC Fulbright Program Adviser (FPA) for the U.S. Student award. E-mail questions to email@example.com or call 715-836-4411 to make an appointment. She’s in the Center for International Education, 3 Schofield Hall.
Award UpdatesThree UWEC applicants have been offered 2022-2023 awards! Congratulations to:
- Natalie Lasinksi: Fulbright English teaching assistantship, Spain.
Psychology (Behavior Analysis) & Spanish major with LAS certificate. December 2021 graduate. Studied on the Valladolid/Spain program in Spring 2020.
- Greta Wiederhold: Fulbright English teaching assistantship, Germany.
German education major & TESOL minor. Anticipated graduation date, May 2022. Studied on the Graz, Austria exchange for the 2019-2020 academic year.
- Kaitlyn Zenner: Fulbright English teaching assistantship, Spain.
Spain & Psychology major, neuroscience minor. Anticipated graduation date, May 2022. Studied on the Valladolid, Spain program in Spring 2020.
Two more are alternates--meaning that they could still receive a 2022-23 award if more become available! Congratulations to:
- Alyssa Huelsbeck: Fulbright English teaching assistantship, Spain.
Spanish & Biochemistry/Molecular Biology majors. May 2021 graduate. Studied on the Valladolid/Spain program in Spring 2020
- Emma Koehn, Fulbright English teaching assistantship, Thailand.
Integrated Strategic Communication major; Pol Sci minor. May 2019 graduate. Studied on the Lorenzo de' Medici, Italy program in Fall 2017.
Read More of UWEC's Fulbright Accomplishments
UWEC Fulbright ReflectionsBelow are reflections from recent UWEC Fulbrighters on how their experiences influenced their career plans.
- Karlene Groshek Reflection, Turkey, English Teaching Assistantship, 2015-2016
- James Hahn Reflection, Spain English Teaching Assistantship, 2008-2009
- Angela Koch Reflection, Bulgaria English Teaching Assistantship, 2015-2016
- Claire Lind Reflection, Turkey, English Teaching Assistantship, 2015-2016
- Joel Newman Video Reflection, Uruguay, English Teaching Assistantship, 2016-2017
- Lara Steinike Reflection, Germany, English Teaching Assistantship, 2016-2017
- Sarah Jane Ugoretz Reflection, Mexico Study/Research, 2008-2009
- Bethany Webster Reflection, Germany English Teaching Assistantship, 2011-2012