Skip to content

Health and Safety

Health and safety of students abroad are one of our top priorities. You can also read the health and safety advice provided to students in the current Study Abroad Handbook. 

In the event of any emergency, the Center for International Education is in close contact with our partners abroad. Depending on the situation, our partners abroad will seek advice from local authorities and the U.S. Consulate or Embassy closest to the program.
In case of an emergency situations, students should inform:

1) First, the local program staff

2) Second, the UW-Eau Claire campus police (715) 836-2222 (7:45am to 4:30pm Monday-Friday, and then (715)839-4972 after hours contacts can be made to this number 24 hrs a day. You may get an answering machine, however, an officer is alerted as soon as you have left your message. Be sure to give the office the phone number you can be reached at as well as what type of assistance you require.

3) The Center for International Education. (715) 836-4411.

US State Department
The U.S. State Department "Student Abroad" site has information on health, emergencies, safe travel tips with special sections for women and LGBT travelers, and voting while abroad. You can stay connected to the U.S. State Department by signing up for their Facebook page and Twitter feed. Please note that the CIE will enrolls all students in the State Department "Smart Traveler Enrollment Program" (STEP).

State Department Travel Advisories

SAFETI Clearing House
The SAFETI (Safety Abroad First – Educational Travel Information) Clearinghouse Project creates and disseminates resources to support study abroad program development and implementation, emphasizing health and safety issues.

Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
The CDC has valuable information about health, safety, and vaccinations for international travelers.

NAFSA: the Association of International Educators
Health and Safety Guidelines 
Responsible Study Abroad: Good Practices for Health & Safety

Safety Precautions
The Center for International Education does not operate programs in countries under U.S. State Department Travel Warnings. We discuss specific safety precautions students should take while abroad at orientation and in the Study Abroad Handbook. We also register all students with the U.S. Embassy in the country where they will be studying.