Lismore, Australia Academics
EligibilityTo apply, you must be a currently enrolled, degree-seeking, undergraduate UW-Eau Claire student. You need to be in good-academic, conduct and financial standing. You also need to have a cumulative GPA of 2.5. You must maintain enrollment and continue to meet the academic standing and GPA requirements the semester prior to departure. You may apply as a first year student, but must have at least sophomore standing by the time the program begins.
CoursesUW-Eau Claire students may take classes in Arts/Humanities, Business, Computing, Education, Health Services, Criminal Justice, or Resource Science and Management. Students enroll in 3 units and each course comes back to UWEC as 4 credits, making a total of 12 credits for the semester. Student may enroll in additional courses and pay extra tuition directly to Southern Cross. Many study abroad students take the Outdoor Education class, which includes intensive field experiences (Outdoor Education comes back to UWEC as Geography Upper Division Elective (GE III; Liberal Education K2) and is now a physical activity credit). Please note that due to the different calendar system that Australia uses, the sequencing of courses may not align with UWEC.
Southern Cross class (unit is what they are called in Australia) schedules for (2018) are available online: click here. Follow these steps to find units:
- Select "Undergraduate," under the "Unit Level" tab
- Select "Session 2," under the "Session" tab, to view units offered during our fall semester.
- Select "Session 1," under the "Session" tab, to view units offered during our spring semester.
- Select "Lismore" under the "Location" tab (*note that you cannot take any courses that are "external" (online))
- You may choose to take three or four classes at Southern Cross; the cost of three classes (12 US credits) is included in the program. If you take four courses you will pay the additional fees to Southern Cross.
- Remember that these are current classes, and there is no guarantee that the same classes will be offered the semester you plan to study abroad.
UW-Eau Claire EquivalenciesTo find courses that have been evaluated, go to the Transfer Wizard site by clicking here.
- Choose Australia, then click "Search"
- Click on Southern Cross University
- Click "Search" again. All courses that have been evaluated for UWEC credit will appear.
Please remember that the transfer wizard is a historical record. There is NO guarantee that the same courses will be offered in the future or that they will be offered during the term in which you will be abroad.
Liberal Education/General Education RequirementsFor students in catalog years 2016-17 and later, this program can fulfill an Integrate Learning (I1) requirement upon completion of the integrated learning assignments while abroad. Please contact your study abroad coordinator for more details.
For students in catalog years through 2015-16, Foreign Culture can be waived upon successful program completion. The requirement is not automatically applied: please email Degree Review at email@example.com after completion of your program to update your degree audit. (Students earning a B.A., B.F.A., or B.M. degree in the College of Arts and Sciences cannot use study abroad to fulfill their foreign language/foreign culture requirements. See the university catalog for details.).