Kalmar or Vaxjo, Sweden Academics
EligibilityTo apply, you must be a currently enrolled, degree-seeking, undergraduate UW-Eau Claire student. You need to be in good-academic, conduct and financial standing. You also need to have a cumulative GPA of 3.0. You must maintain enrollment and continue to meet the academic standing and GPA requirements the semester prior to departure. Most areas of study require junior status by the beginning of the program. No previous study of Swedish is required.
Business students: All business students should note that it can be very difficult to enroll into units in which you do not meet the pre-requisites. Students with around 6-15 UWEC credits of business courses should plan to attend the Kalmar campus, as that campus offers lower level courses. Any student wishing to take business courses at the Vaxjo campus, should have closer to 24-30 UWEC business credits before the start of the program. Linnaeus doesn't recognize ECON 103, ECON 104 and/or BCOM courses counting towards those 15 or 30 credits. This is a requirement set by Linnaeus and they will not adjust it. All applicants are strongly encouraged to meet with both their academic advisor and with the study abroad coordinator, Jenna (email@example.com) to discuss business courses at Linnaeus University.
CoursesAll exchange students are required to be full-time students (enrolled in at least 30 Swedish credits (15 UWEC credits)) during their stay at Linnaeus University. 1 Swedish credit = .5 UWEC credits. If you wish to take business classes, you will need to have completed 15-30 UWEC business credits by the beginning of the exchange. Remember, Linnaeus does not recognize ECON 103, ECON 104 or and BCOM classes in the minimum requirement.
You have two enrollment options:
Option 1: You can choose one course worth 30 Swedish credits. By choosing a 30-credit course, you are automatically enrolled in the individual 7.5-15 credit modules that make up the course. You will find the descriptions for the individual modules that make up the course by clicking on the "Syllabus" link in the course description. You must meet the prerequisites for the course.
Option 2: You can choose to enroll in four separate 7.5 credit classes, or two-15 credit courses, or one-15 credit course in combination with two-7.5 courses. You must meet the prerequisites for each individual class.
How to find courses on the Linnaeus website:
Go to the Linnaeus course listing for exchange students at: https://lnu.se/en/education/exchange-studies/courses-and-programmes-for-exchange-students/#l=en The course list that appears includes all courses offered to exchange students, regardless of semester, year or campus. In order to find the courses that you can select for your intended semester, use the 'filter' function:
- "Level" select "Bachelors Level", which means undergraduate courses.
- "Semester" click the appropriate semester you are going to be abroad (note: only current year courses are listed; you can use them as a guide and there is no guarantee they will be offered the term you want to study
- "Teaching Language" select "English"
- "City" select either Vaxjo or Kalmar (business students, Kalmar offers more lower level courses than Vaxjo). If you don't select a city, just note that you must take courses all at one campus.
- "Study Pace" that can be all of them
- "Teaching Form" select "campus"
- It is recommended that you DON'T select a topic area, as they may classify their courses differently than UWEC
- The list will then appear in no apparent ordering. To get more information about a specific course, click on the course name. Please pay attention to the pre-requisites as Linneaus is firm with those.
UW-Eau Claire EquivalenciesTo find courses that have been evaluated, go to the Transfer Wizard site by clicking here.
- Choose Sweden, then click "Search"
- Click on Linnaeus University
- Click "Search" again. All courses that have been evaluated for UWEC credit will appear.
Please remember that the transfer wizard is a historical record. There is NO guarantee that the same courses will be offered in the future or that they will be offered during the term in which you will be abroad.
Liberal Education/General Education RequirementsFor students in catalog years 2016-17 and later, this program can fulfill an Integrate Learning (I1) requirement upon completion of the integrated learning assignments while abroad. Please contact your study abroad coordinator for more details.
For students in catalog years through 2015-16, Foreign Culture can be waived upon successful program completion. The requirement is not automatically applied: please email Degree Review at firstname.lastname@example.org after completion of your program to update your degree audit. (Students earning a B.A., B.F.A., or B.M. degree in the College of Arts and Sciences cannot use study abroad to fulfill their foreign language/foreign culture requirements. See the university catalog for details.).